Selling or leasing your home or investment property is something you don’t do all that often, so you want to make sure you make the RIGHT decision the first time. You also need to work out what the “Right Agent” means to you. There are lots of different ways you can go about finding the right person and the right company. Here are some ideas to help you work out where to start and how to narrow down your selection
- Make a list of what qualities you are looking for before you start interviewing agents. What you are looking for might be different to what a friend is looking for. After each agent leaves see how they rate against your list (ie experience, first impressions, knowledge, presentation, negotiation skills etc).
- It is important to find someone you feel comfortable with and trust, after-all you are going to be entrusting your greatest asset with them and may be dealing with them for a few months.
- Look online and Google both the agency and the person. See what you can find out about them. They will only tell you how good they are and provide you with glowing testimonials – what is the wider community saying? Does what they’ve told you match up with what your research shows?.
- Great to speak to friends that are like minded and see if they have had any great experiences with agents in your area.
- Did they get the basics right? Well presented, on time, followed up as promised? If they can’t get this right then it’s not a good start.
- Go into the office and have a look. Is it well presented and is the staff friendly? How will buyers or tenants be treated.
- Go to one of their open homes, or send a friend! This is a must. Whether you are leasing or selling your property check them out in real life. What experience will the buyer or tenant get?.
- Don’t just base your decision on costs. The wrong agent could cost you tens of thousands of dollars and make the experience unpleasant – so choose the person you feel will suit your needs the best and then negotiate commission and marketing.
- Get Ray White Croydon out (shameless self promotion)!
I hope this is helpful to you if you are thinking of selling or leasing your property. If you have any real estate related questions please feel welcome to email or call me at any time.